
Is it me, or does it seem like peer pressure is starting at a MUCH younger age?.. or lasting into a older age for that matter!...
Since we moved into our neighborhood, I have noticed it MORE!
dont get me wrong, I love where I live, and I have really sweet neighbors!, but since there are SOOO many children in here, its hard to Not notice some of the sillyness...
About 90% of the families that live here, are 2 working parent families, so with that "extra income", its easy to Really spoil the kids!..
I see some of these little kids with VERY exspensive toys!.. and it makes me ask myself the question, are the parents buying thier kids those things to be a blessing to their kids, or out of "adult peer pressure" ??
We try very hard to teach our boys the value of hard work, and that you dont just get every little thing you want!!.. but sometimes its so hard to NOT fall into the peer pressure trap!
Over Christmas, Dante' came home one day from school, and said he wanted a webkinz.. I had to look online to see what those even were!.. I must admit they are VERY cute stuffed animals!!.. so I told hiim, he coudl have one, BUT he was going to do some extra jobs around the house to help pay for one.. He was so excited to get it, but that seemed to be dashed quickly, when he came home from school, and said how many webkins lots of the kids had!!!.. I must add, that a webkinz is 15 bucks each!,, and some of these kids had 12-20 of them!!!
We had to teach him to be thankful for what he had!..
it seems like every other month its something "new" to collect..
Today at the bus stop, it is pencils with sports teams on them!.. a couple of the kids didnt just have 1 or 2.. they had a FULL handfull!.. one little boy had about 30 of them!
There are many many other examples, of toys and such that kids have.. and I find it so hard sometimes to NOT let myself feel bad for not buying them everything!!
I want to give my kids Lots of things, and bless them, BUT I also want them to learn the value of things, and that "things" DO NOT make us happy!.. GOD does!
So, heres my question.. do the kids today really want all these material things, or are the PARENTS falling into "peer pressure", and buying these things, just to make them look and feel like a better parent??.. What kind of message are they sending to their kids?.. "dont work hard for anything, and we will give you whatever you want??"
what do you think??....
Since we moved into our neighborhood, I have noticed it MORE!
dont get me wrong, I love where I live, and I have really sweet neighbors!, but since there are SOOO many children in here, its hard to Not notice some of the sillyness...
About 90% of the families that live here, are 2 working parent families, so with that "extra income", its easy to Really spoil the kids!..
I see some of these little kids with VERY exspensive toys!.. and it makes me ask myself the question, are the parents buying thier kids those things to be a blessing to their kids, or out of "adult peer pressure" ??
We try very hard to teach our boys the value of hard work, and that you dont just get every little thing you want!!.. but sometimes its so hard to NOT fall into the peer pressure trap!
Over Christmas, Dante' came home one day from school, and said he wanted a webkinz.. I had to look online to see what those even were!.. I must admit they are VERY cute stuffed animals!!.. so I told hiim, he coudl have one, BUT he was going to do some extra jobs around the house to help pay for one.. He was so excited to get it, but that seemed to be dashed quickly, when he came home from school, and said how many webkins lots of the kids had!!!.. I must add, that a webkinz is 15 bucks each!,, and some of these kids had 12-20 of them!!!
We had to teach him to be thankful for what he had!..
it seems like every other month its something "new" to collect..
Today at the bus stop, it is pencils with sports teams on them!.. a couple of the kids didnt just have 1 or 2.. they had a FULL handfull!.. one little boy had about 30 of them!
There are many many other examples, of toys and such that kids have.. and I find it so hard sometimes to NOT let myself feel bad for not buying them everything!!
I want to give my kids Lots of things, and bless them, BUT I also want them to learn the value of things, and that "things" DO NOT make us happy!.. GOD does!
So, heres my question.. do the kids today really want all these material things, or are the PARENTS falling into "peer pressure", and buying these things, just to make them look and feel like a better parent??.. What kind of message are they sending to their kids?.. "dont work hard for anything, and we will give you whatever you want??"
what do you think??....
3 comments:
all the webkinz are on clearance at Pat Catans...lol
peer pressure.
my kids do not own one webkinz. yeah!
just today max told me how happy he was for his new clock and new booster seat.
they're boys, mitz! give them a shovel and some dirt- who needs webkinz????? HA HA HA
you tell 'em Mitz!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment