Friday, May 16, 2008

Awe.. Nature at its cutest...



We have a feathered friend, who has decided to take up residence in our back yard for a few weeks!
A momma killdeer has chosen a lovely little spot nestled right in the back yard, with lush views of green grass, lovely trees, and shrubs, and oh yes.. CHILDREN EVERYWHERE!!
She laid her eggs about a week ago, and is now very protectively watching over them!..
This happened last year, and its in almost the exact same location!!.. so , we are pretty sure it is the same bird.
I called the local wildlife people, and since the eggs have been laid, nothing can be done to move the nest .. so... That means for the next few weeks we have to try and keep ALL the neighbor kids on our street, all 20 some of them away from her!..
We are going to hopefully use this as a great learning experience for them, and instead of just telling them to "stay away" from her.. we are going to assign them "special bird protection Agents".. ( do ya like that?).. I just made it up..haha
That way , hopefully they will all do their best to help keep her and the little tykes safe!

So.. I will keep you all up to date on her, and post pics as soon as the 4 little blessing arrive!

Since she will be staying here for a little while , I think we should give her a name..
any suggestions??

No comments: